Skip to content

Welcome to the Cuyahoga Falls Historical Society

Cuyahoga Falls Historical Society
2083 Cook Street
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio 44221

Industry and Commerce

Cuyahoga Falls owes it's existance to industry. In 1812 Kelsey and Wilcox built a dam on the Cuyahoga River to harness water power for a flour mill, an oil mill, and a saw mill. As better sites were developed downstream, the center of commerce moved, and grew. Eventually, modern power replaced water power and manufacturing moved away from the river.

update June 2013